Building, Site, & Infrastructure Division

The City of Ranson’s Community Development serves to protect the health and safety of our community by providing trained and certified Building Inspectors to implement the West Virginia State Building Code that has been adopted by the City. Major duties that are part of this mission include plan reviews, issuance of permits and providing inspections.

Online Permitting

The City of Ranson is pleased to announce that you can now apply and pay for your building permit online.

My Government Online is now available to provide fully digital, web-based permitting and plan review services. Anything you can do in-person at City Hall you can do online. Examples include Apply for Permits, Pay Online, Request Inspections, Submit Files, Download Inspection Reports and Approved Plans, Check Status of a Permit, Search for Permits and Manage Contractor and Business Licenses.

If a business or contractor already has an account after doing work in nearby jurisdictions using MyGovernmentOnline they now will see Ranson as a jurisdiction they can submit permits to.

You must create a free account with MyGovernmentOnline (or login to your existing account) to submit a permit application with the City. This process is simple and takes 2-3 minutes to complete.

My Government Online Customer Support is available by phone at (866) 957-3764 and email at support

Current Building Code

The City Council has adopted by ordinance the state building code as promulgated by the state fire commission pursuant to W. Va. Code, § 29-3-5b and the provisions thereof, which consists of the standards and requirements as set out and as published by the International Code Council and the American National Standards Institute.  

Building Permit Requirements

Section 105 of the International Building Code states:

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

A general Building Permit is issued for structural, electrical, plumbing and/or mechanical work, both residential and commercial. There are also specific permits for fences, sheds, signs, sidewalks and driveways.

The City of Ranson Community Development Department recommends contacting a Building Inspector with any questions regarding project and permit requirements prior to starting any work by phone at 304-724-5452 or email at

Annual Reports

The following annual reports in the new home starts as reported to US Census and HUD.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email